THE SPORTS PARENT
CODE OF CONDUCT
1. I will not force my child to participate in sports.
2. I will remember that children participate to have fun.
3. I will inform the coach of any physical disability that may affect the safety of my child and/or of others.
4. I will learn the rules and policies of the game.
5. I will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game or practice.
6. I will not engage in any unsportsmanlike conduct with an official, coach, player or parent.
7. I will not encourage any behaviors that would endanger the health of the athletes.
8. I will teach my child to play by the rules.
9. I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials and spectators with respect.
10. I will teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning.
11. I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard.
12. I will never yell at my child or another participant for making a mistake.
13. I will emphasize skill development and practices over winning.
14. I will promote emotional and physical well-being of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for my child to win.
15. I will respect the officials and their authority during the games.
16. I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco and alcohol.
17. I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices unless I am an official coach.